An herbal sauce made with mint and parsley, flavored with garlic and citrus juice. This variation of Mojo is based off of the green and herbaceous Puerto Rican version that closely resembles Italian salsa verde.
Note: Sour oranges can be found in most Latin grocers. If unavailable, substitute with 1 tablespoon orange juice and 1 additional tablespoon lemon juice.
- Yield:Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 1/2 cup picked fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup picked fresh parsley leaves
- 2 medium clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons juice and 1 teaspoon zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons juice from 1 sour orange (see note above)
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 small red chili or pinch red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine mint, parsley, garlic, capers, lemon juice and zest, orange juice, shallot, pepper flakes, and olive oil in the bowl of a food processor or blender and process until a chunky puree is formed. Transfer to a small bowl, season to taste with salt and pepper, and set aside until ready to serve.