The original reason for adding banana to these cookies was a health boost. They became a family favorite, and may just inspire some Mad Hungry Cravings of your own. Especially if you're the sort who likes chocolate chips in your banana bread.
Reprinted with permission by Lucinda Scala Quinn. Copyright © 2013. Published by Artisan Books. Available wherever books are sold. All rights reserved.
- Yield:makes about 16 cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 packed cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 very ripe banana, peeled and slightly mashed
- 3/4 semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 375°F with the racks in the upper and lower third positions. Butter two baking sheets or line with parchment.
Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat together the butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and stir to combine. Mix in the banana and chocolate chips until just combined.
Drop the batter by the tablespoon onto the baking sheets, spacing the cookies 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Transfer to wire racks to cool.