Note: For easiest results, use a mandoline to make the initial slices of carrot and daikon, then a knife to cut the slices into strips.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:Makes about 1 quart
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:10 minutes (for best results, let rest for at least 1 day)
- 1 large carrot, peeled, cut into strips 1/8th-inch square and 3 inches long (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium daikon radish, peeled, cut into strips 1/8th-inch square and 3 inches long (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
Combine carrots, radish, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Using fingertips, massage salt and sugar into vegetables until dissolved. Add water and rice vinegar. Pack vegetables into a quart-sized mason jar. Pickles can be used immediately, or for best results, seal jar and refrigerate at least overnight and up to 1 week.