The humble Chess Pie gets a seasonal update with floral Meyer lemons.
Note: Make sure to use a regular, not a deep dish pie plate for this pie.
- Yield:serves 8
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:60 minutes plus 3 hours chilling
- One half recipe Easy Pie Dough, shaped and chilled in a pie plate
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (about 10 1/2 ounces) sugar
- 1/2 cup Meyer lemon juice from about 5 Meyer lemons
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces (1 1/4 cups) heavy cream, chilled (optional)
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, beat eggs with an electric mixer until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add sugar and beat another 2 minutes. Add lemon juice, cornmeal, butter, and salt and beat until well combined. Pour into prepared pie shell.
Bake pie until golden on top and a cake tester inserted into the middle of the pie comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Check pie halfway through baking: If getting too dark, cover with tinfoil for remaining time. Let cool to room temperature on a wire rack, then cover and chill in refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
When ready to serve, place heavy cream in a small bowl and whip until soft peaks form. Dollop each slice of pie with whipped cream, if desired.