A quick and hearty vegetable soup with carrots, potatoes, leeks, and kale. 100% vegan, 100% satisfying.
- Yield:Serves 4 to 6 (makes about 2 1/2 quarts)
- Active time: 2 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 1 recipe Hearty Vegetable Stock, along with re-hydrated mushrooms from the stock
- 2 leeks, white parts only, split in half lengthwise, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large Yukon gold potato, diced
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or any other cooked canned bean)
- 1 small bunch kale, thick stems removed, leaves roughly torn
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil
Chop reserved re-hydrated mushrooms kept from making Hearty Vegetable Stock into half-inch pieces. Add mushrooms, broth, leeks, carrot, celery, potato, chickpeas, kale, and soy sauce to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are completely tender and beginning to fall apart, about 25 minutes. Stir in cornstarch slurry and allow to simmer 2 minutes longer.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, stir in lemon juice and parsley, and serve, drizzling extra-virgin olive oil into bowls as you eat.