About the author: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt is the Chief Creative Officer of Serious Eats where he likes to explore the science of home cooking in his weekly column The Food Lab. You can follow him at @thefoodlab on Twitter, or at The Food Lab on Facebook.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Hearty White Bean and Spinach Soup with Rosemary and Garlic (Vegan)
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Serves 2 to 3|
|Active time:||10 minutes|
|Total time:||25 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||The Vegan Experience: Hearty White Bean and Spinach Soup with Rosemary and Garlic|
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 6 medium cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch spinach (about 4 ounces), trimmed and washed
- 2 teaspoons juice from 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions, celery, garlic, and rosemary. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions and garlic are softened but not browned, about 4 minutes. Add broth, bay leaves and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce to a bare simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Add spinach and continue cooking until completely wilted, about 5 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in lemon juice. Serve immediately, drizzling remaining olive oil over bowls.