White beans in a garlicky rosemary broth with wilted spinach make for a quick and easy, balanced, and delicious 25-minute meal in a bowl.
- Yield:Serves 2 to 3
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:25 minutes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 6 medium cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch spinach (about 4 ounces), trimmed and washed
- 2 teaspoons juice from 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions, celery, garlic, and rosemary. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions and garlic are softened but not browned, about 4 minutes. Add broth, bay leaves and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce to a bare simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Add spinach and continue cooking until completely wilted, about 5 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in lemon juice. Serve immediately, drizzling remaining olive oil over bowls.