This recipe appears in:How To Make Great Vegan Soups
A recipe for a quick, rich vegetable broth perfect for vegetarian or vegan dishes.
Note: Kombu is dried giant sea kelp. It can be found in most Asian markets.
- 1 ounce dried mixed mushrooms such as oyster, porcini, or morel
- 1 medium yellow onion, split in half
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 2 to 3 leeks, greens only (reserve whites for another use)
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 (4-inch) piece kombu (see note above)
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 1 tabespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot and cover with water by 1 1/2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce to a bare simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are completely tender and stock is aromatic and flavorful, about 40 minutes. Remove mushrooms with tongs and set aside for another use. Strain stock through a fine-mesh strainer. Discard solids. Allow stock to cool uncovered at room temperature for 1 hour. Cover and transfer to refrigerator until completely chilled. Refrigerated stock will keep for about 1 week.