Hearts of palm take on a deep nutty-sweet flavor when grilled over high heat, with a great moist, texture with a light crunch.
Grilled Marinated Heart of Palm Tacos With Spicy Cabbage Slaw (vegan)
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Makes 6 tacos, serving 2 to 3|
|Active time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
|Special equipment:||Grill pan or grill|
|This recipe appears in:||The Vegan Experience: Grilled Marinated Heart Of Palm Tacos|
- 2 teaspoons lime juice from 1 lime, plus extra lime wedges for serving
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can of hearts of palm, drained, or 1/2 pound fresh hearts of palm
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup homemade or store-bought salsa verde, or other salsa
- Sliced white onion (for serving)
- Picked cilantro (for serving)
- 2 cups Spicy Cabbage Slaw
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced or mashed (for serving, optional)
Combine lime juice, garlic, thyme, and olive oil in a small bowl and stir with a fork. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Carefully dry drained hearts of palm with paper towels, transfer them to a plate, and pour marinade on top of them. Rub with hands to coat every surface. Set aside.
Using a paper towel, rub grill pan with oil. Preheat over high heat until smoking. Add hearts of palm and cook, turning occasionally, until tender and deep grill marks have appeared on all sides, about 12 minutes total. Alternatively grill hearts of palm on a charcoal or gas grill over medium-high heat.Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
Return grill pan to high heat. Stack 2 tortillas and dip them into a bowl of water. Add them to the grill pan and grill until charred on first side, about 1 minute. Carefully flip and cook until second side is charred, about 1 minute longer. Transfer to a clean dish towel and fold the towel over to keep warm. Repeat with remaining 10 tortillas, cooking them in stacks of two at a time.