This recipe appears in:Serious Entertaining: A Real Deal Barbecue Feast Serious Entertaining: Backyard Burger Bash Serious Entertaining: The Vegan, One Meal Convince-A-Meathead Challenge How to Make Vegan Creamy Fingerling Potato Salad
Fingerling potatoes in a sweet-tart vinaigrette made extra-creamy with the addition of potato cooking liquid and mashed yukon golds. Creamy, delicious, and 100% vegan.
- 1 1/2 pounds fingerling potatoes (such as La Ratte or Russian Banana), cut into 1/2-inch disks
- 1/2 pound yukon gold potatoes (about 1 large), peeled, quartered lengthwise, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Kosher salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon sugar, plus more as desired
- 2 small shallots, one minced (about 1/4 cup), one thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed, drained, and roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley leaves
Place potatoes, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon vinegar, and 3 cups tepid water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally until salt is dissolved. Reduce to a bare simmer and cook until potatoes are completely tender and show no resistance when poked with a paring knife or cake tester, about 17 minutes. Drain potatoes, reserving 1/2 cup of cooking liquid. Immediately toss potato pieces with 1/2 tablespoon vinegar and set aside.
Combine reaeved cooking liquid with remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, mustard, relish, sugar, and minced shallot in a large bowl. Add 5 to 6 pieces of cooked Yukon gold potato. Mash with a potato masher until smooth. Whisking constantly, add 3 tablespoons olive oil. Fold in capers, celery, sliced shallot, parsley, and potatoes. Season to taste with salt and more sugar if desired. Serve immediately, drizzling with remaining olive oil or refrigerate for up to three days. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.