This recipe appears in:Pantry Essentials: All About Vinegar Grilling: Charred Radicchio With Balsamic and Bacon
Bacon wrapped radicchio is grilled and paired with an herbal vinaigrette and balsamic to create and incredible combination of textures and flavors.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste (1 medium clove garlic mashed with a pinch of salt)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 heads radicchio, quartered and core trimmed
- 16 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Type of fire: Direct
- Grill heat: medium-low
In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, 2 tablespoons oil, shallots, red pepper flakes, garlic paste, parsley oregano, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place radicchio quarters in a large bowl and drizzle with enough vinaigrette to coat lightly, tossing gently.
Wrap each radicchio quarter in bacon, trimming excess bacon if necessary.
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over entire surface of coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Place radicchio quarters on grill and cook until bacon and leaf edges crisp all over, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Transfer radicchio quarters to a platter. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil; sprinkle with chives, and serve.