Choose a full-flavored beer to give this cheese dip character, then grab a fresh hot pretzel and enjoy.
- Yield:Makes about 3 cups
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:10 minutes
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer, preferably brown ale
- 5 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Kosher salt, to taste
Toss cheese with cornstarch in a medium bowl; set aside.
Whisk together beer, milk, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until gently steaming, whisking frequently to prevent scorching.
When beer mixture is warm, add cheese, stirring until completely melted, bubbling slightly, and thickened. Stir in hot sauce and season with salt to taste; serve immediately.