Anchovy fillets, roasted red peppers, and Manchego cheese are spiked onto a garlic-rubbed baguette round and quickly toasted under the broiler. A drizzle of sherry vinegar right before serving provides some sharp acidity to cut through the saltiness of the anchovy, and nuttiness of the cheese. Salty, tangy, and crisp, these pintxos are great pre-cursors to a glass of wine or beer.
Anchovy, Red Pepper, and Manchego Pintxos
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Makes 12 hors d'oeuvres, serving 4 to 6|
|Active time:||10 minutes|
|Total time:||10 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||Bar Bites: Anchovy, Red Pepper, and Manchego Pintxos|
- 12 (1/2-inch) slices of baguette
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium clove garlic, cut in half
- 12 thin slices of manchego cheese
- 1 jarred roasted red bell pepper, drained and cut into 12 slivers
- 12 olive oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained
- Sherry vinegar, for drizzling
- 12 toothpicks or small wooden skewers, for serving
Brush both sides of the baguette slices with the olive oil, then place the baguette slices on a baking sheet. Lightly toast the bread directly under the broiler until golden brown, 30-seconds to 1 minute per side. Remove the bread from the broiler and rub the top of each baguette slice with the cut side of the garlic.
Place the manchego slices on each slice of bread, followed by a sliver of roasted red bell pepper, followed by an anchovy fillet. Return the baguette slices to the broiler and broil just until the cheese melts, 30-seconds to 1 minute.
Remove the topped baguette slices from the oven, then secure each with a toothpick. sprinkle with sherry vinegar and serve immediately.