- Yield:Makes 1 loaf
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:2 hours
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tea bag (I like PG Tips, but any strong English tea would work)
- 1/4 cup juice from 1 orange
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter, room temperature, plus more for greasing loaf pan
- 1 1/2 cups (7 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (about 4 1/2 ounces) packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
Combine raisins, tea bag, and orange juice in a medium bowl. Add 1 cup of boiling water. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand 30 minutes. Remove and discard tea bag.
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 375°F. Grease at 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with butter.
In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl cream together butter and brown sugar with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy. Add egg and continue to mix until the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
Mix the butter mixture into the flour mixture until there are no longer any lumps, then add tea and raisins and stir until just incorporated. Pour into loaf pan and sprinkle with demerara sugar, then bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Transfer to a rack and allow to cool slightly. Serve warm.