Notes: Personally, I like my miang extra tart with the fragrance and slightly bitter flavor of lime rinds, so I include them in the salad. If you don't like chewing on pieces of lime, rind and all, leave them out. Instead, substitute with a tablespoon of fresh squeezed lime juice.
Likewise, if you don't like the taste of fresh ginger in this, you can also leave it out or replace it with something mild such as water chestnuts or jicama.
Lotus petals aren't necessary either. Trimmed lettuce leaves work just fine.
If pomelo is unavailable, grapefruit or navel orange can be used in its place.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:serves 4 as an appetizer
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 3/4 cup store-bought or homemade Thai chili jam (nam prik pao)
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3/4 cup of fresh ginger (the younger the better) that has been peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 medium shallots or 1/2 a medium red onion, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1/2 cup)
- Half a large cucumber, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3/4 cup of roasted cashews or peanuts
- 3 to 4 bird’s eye chilies, cut crosswise into 1/8-inch slices
- One large lime (choose one with thin and smooth skin), cut into 1/4-inch cubes (peel and all), or 1 tablespoon lime juice (see note above)
- One large pomelo, peeled and separated into segments, pith removed, cut roughly into large pieces (see note above)
- Two heads of Boston (Bibb) lettuce, separated into individual leaves, washed and spun dry
In a small condiment bowl, mix together chili jam and fish sauce; set aside.
Place water and salt in a 4-quart pot; bring to a boil. Reduce to a sub-simmer. Water should be steaming, but not bubbling. Add shrimp to pot; stir until shrimp are barely opaque, about 1 1/2 minutes. Remove with a metal spider or slotted spoon. Set aside.
Arrange poached shrimp, dressing, shallots, cucumber, peanuts, chilis, lime, pomelo, and lettuce leaves on a large platter. To assemble and serve: place one shrimp in a lettuce leaf and a "little bit of this and a little bit of that," followed by a teaspoonful of dressing; wrap it up in one bite and consume.