About the Author: Yasmin Fahr is a food lover, writer, and cook. Follow her @yasminfahr for more updates on her eating adventures and discoveries, which will most likely include tomatoes. And probably feta. Happy eating!
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Chicken and Rice with Broccoli
About This Recipe
|Active time:||25 minutes|
|Total time:||45 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||Skillet Suppers: Chicken and Rice with Broccoli|
- 2 ½ pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken legs or other chicken parts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 ½ cups)
- 2 small heads broccoli, cut into florets (about 2 cups)
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced or grated with a microplane (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric or pinch of saffron threads
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (plus more to taste if desired)
- 3 cups homemade homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups basmati or long-grain white rice
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Lemon or lime wedges, for serving
Season chicken on all sides with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until lightly smoking. Add chicken skin-side down and cook without moving until well browned, 6 to 7 minutes. Flip and brown second side, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium, and add the onions, broccoli and a pinch of salt, stirring until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne and cook for until fragrant, about 30 seconds longer. Add the chicken stock to the pan and then add the rice and lay the chicken carefully on top.
Bring the liquid to a boil and then lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cover and cook until the rice and chicken are finished cooking, 15-20 minutes. Add the frozen peas during the last 3 to 4 minutes of cooking.
Remove from heat. Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and serve with lemon or lime wedges