Balanced Green Juice
Green juice should taste as good as it makes you feel. This recipe strikes a pleasing chord with well-balanced sweet, tart, spicy, and hearty flavors.
Here are a few insider tips to really make the most of your juicing:
With the exception of the lime, you don't need to peel any of the ingredients. Do buy organic produce for juicing when possible, since juice is a concentrated source of everything its ingredients contain, including nutrients and pesticides.
Juice the ingredients in the order listed to maximize yield. Finishing with a very juicy ingredient like celery helps to flush more stubborn ingredients like ginger through the juicer.
When juicing greens such as the kale and cilantro in this recipe, you'll get a better yield if you tightly pack the greens (roll them up before adding to the feed tube of your juicer) and place them between two harder, juicier ingredients (such as the cucumber and apple here). Nudge the greens through the juicer one small push at a time.
If your juicer has multiple speeds, use a slower speed for softer ingredients like the lime, kale, and cilantro.
Keep in mind that juicers vary a lot in terms of design and yield, so your mileage may vary.
About the author: Carolyn Cope is the voice behind the popular food and lifestyle blog Umami Girl, where she'll soon be releasing a free e-book filled with easy ways to incorporate more healthy, plant-based foods into your life. She is equal parts live-to-eat and eat-to-live and currently does both from London.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Balanced Green Juice
About This Recipe
|Active time:||5 minutes|
|Total time:||5 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||From the Juicer: Balanced Green Juice|
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) fresh cucumber juice from about 1 medium cucumber
- 3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) fresh kale juice from about 4 medium leaves kale
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon (2/3 ounce) fresh cilantro juice from about 1 packed cup cilantro leaves and stems
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) fresh apple juice from about 1 large apple, cored and quartered
- 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) fresh ginger juice from a about 1 1/2-inch piece ginger
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons (5/6 ounce) fresh lime juice from 1 to 2 limes, peeled
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) fresh celery juice from about 3 medium celery stalks
Stir juices together thoroughly, divide between two glasses, and serve immediately.