About the author: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt is the Chief Creative Officer of Serious Eats where he likes to explore the science of home cooking in his weekly column The Food Lab. You can follow him at @thefoodlab on Twitter, or at The Food Lab on Facebook.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:15 minutes
- 1/2 cup store-bought or homemade mayonnaise
- 1 ounce finely grated parmesan cheese
- 6 whole anchovy filets, mashed into a paste with the back of a fork
- 2 teaspoons juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 whole Belgian endives, core removed, leaves cut into 1/8th-inch slivers
- 1 head radicchio, finely sliced
- 1 quart loosely packed frisée (curly endive) fronds, pale green and yellow parts only (about 2 heads' worth)
- 1 large tart apple such as Fuji or Granny Smith, cut into 1/8th-inch matchsticks
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 cups toasted walnuts
Combine mayonnaise, parmesan, mashed anchovy, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Toss endive, radicchio, frisée, apples, and parsley with dressing to taste. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add nuts and toss briefly. Serve immediately.