Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Spicy Coddled Eggs with Focaccia
About This Recipe
|Active time:||25 minutes|
|Total time:||25 minutes|
|Special equipment:||Four 2-cup ramekins|
|This recipe appears in:||Sunday Brunch: Spicy Coddled Eggs with Focaccia|
- 1 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 (7-ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 eggs
- 1 recipe focaccia (or store-bought focaccia)
- Sliced scallions, to garnish
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 375°F. Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium high heat until shimmering. Add onions and cook until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add green pepper and jalapeno and continue to cook until peppers just soften, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add chopped green chilies and sour cream and stir until fully mixed. Season to taste with salt and pepper and divide between ramekins.
Break 2 eggs into each ramekin and place in the oven until eggs are softly set but whites are still runny, about 15 minutes. Slice focaccia into thin strips and serve along side eggs, garnish with sliced scallions and extra hot sauce.