This recipe from Josh Berner of Ripple in Washington, DC yields a simple, citrusy variation of the classic Champagne cocktail.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:makes 1 cocktail
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 10 minutes
- For the Orange Sugar Cubes:
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons orange juice (no pulp)
- For Each Cocktail:
- 1 orange sugar cube
- 1 dash cherry bitters (such as Fee Brothers or Bittercube Cherry Bark Vanilla Bitters)
- Sparkling wine
- Garnish: strands of shaved pear
For the orange sugar cubes: Mix the sugar and orange juice in a bowl until evenly distributed. Pour the mix into a metal mini ice cube tray or silicone candy mold and bake in oven at 200°F until hard and dry, about 1 hour. Let cool.
For each cocktail, place one orange sugar cube into flute glass. Add cherry bitters, top with sparkling wine. Garnish with strands of shaved pear.