Note: For a milder dish, omit chili pepper or replace with seeded chopped jalapeño. For a slightly thicker sauce, add 1 teaspoon cornstarch to the broth/soy mixture in step 1.
About the Author: Yasmin Fahr is a food lover, writer, and cook. Follow her @yasminfahr for more updates on her eating adventures and discoveries, which will most likely include tomatoes. And probably feta. Happy eating!
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:serves 2
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:20 minutes
- ¼ cup homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups broccoli, stems removed and florets cut into small pieces
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, sliced into thin strips
- 2 cups kale, leaves removed and cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced scallions, white and light green parts
- 1 fresh Thais bird chili pepper, minced (optional, see note)
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Combine the broth, soy sauce and rice wine vinegar in a small bowl and set aside (for a thicker sauce, see note).
Heat oil in a12-inch skillet or wok until lightly smoking. Immediately add the broccoli and cook until they become more vibrant in color and are just cooked, but still crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Return pan to heat and heat until smoking. Add brussels sprouts leaves and kale and cook until just cooked through and lightly charred in spots, about 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl with broccoli.
Return pan to heat and add the garlic, ginger, scallion, and chili (if using). Cook, sitrring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Return vegetables to the pan and add the sauce mixture. Toss to coat vegetables. Season to taste with salt if necessary. Stir in half the cilantro, transfer to a serving bowl, top with remaining cilantro, and serve immediately.