Brugal Extra Dry Rum meets Cocchi Americano and Gran Classico in this punch from Kenny McCoy of Ward III and The Rum House. If you're used to thinking of rum punches as sugary, tropical concoctions, this will change your mind. Top off with champagne to taste.
Note: To make simple syrup, combine 1 cup water with 1 cup sugar in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Cool before using. Simple syrup will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The ice is an important part of the recipe here—not only to chill, but to add water through ice melt, bringing the proof of your punch down to a party-friendly strength.
Kenny McCoy's Peg Leg Punch
About This Recipe
|Yield:||serves 15 to 20|
|Active time:||10 minutes|
|Total time:||1 hour|
|This recipe appears in:||3 Holiday Punch Recipes from the Serious Eats Cookie Swap|
- 1 (750 milliliter) bottle Brugal Extra Dry Rum
- 2 ounces Highland Park 12 Year Old Scotch Whisky
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) Gran Classico
- 8 ounces (1 cup) Cocchi Americano
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) simple syrup (see note above)
- 6 ounces (3/4 cup) fresh squeezed orange juice (from about 3 oranges)
- 6 ounces (3/4 cup) fresh squeezed lemon juice (from about 7-8 lemons)
- Orange rind
- Lemon rind
- Champagne, to taste (you'll need less than a bottle)
Combine all liquid ingredients in a large punch bowl and add ice. Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour. Top off with champagne; serve with a twist of orange and lemon rind in a chilled rocks glass with 1 large cube of ice.