Jamie Boudreau of Canon in Seattle tells us that many prominent figures in American history, such as George Washington, have also enjoyed this rum-forward punch.
Note: To make a large ice block, freeze water in a Tupperware container overnight.
About the author: Naomi Bishop is a Seattle based food writer and marketer. You can follow her explorations of cooking and culture around the world at @GastroGnome.
Fishhouse Punch Royale
About This Recipe
|Active time:||5 minutes|
|Total time:||5 minutes|
|Special equipment:||very large punch bowl|
|This recipe appears in:||6 Great Punch Recipes from Seattle Bars|
- 6 ounces muscovado sugar
- 5 ounces fresh lemon juice from about 3 lemons
- 10 ounces fresh lime juice from 8 to 10 limes
- 8 ounces (1 cup) light rum such as Cruzan
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) dark rum such as Appleton V/X
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) cognac such as Courvoisier
- 1 (750 milliliter) bottle dry cava, chilled
- 1 large ice block (see note)
- Garnish: lemon and lime wheels
Combine sugar, lemon, and lime juice in a very large punch bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add light rum, dark rum, and cognac. Stir well. Add cava and a large ice block.
Serve in ice-filled punch glasses, garnished with lemon and lime wheels if desired.