Note: Use store-bought pre-cooked andouille sausage for this recipe.
About the Author: Yasmin Fahr is a food lover, writer, and cook. Follow her @yasminfahr for more updates on her eating adventures and discoveries, which will most likely include tomatoes. And probably feta. Happy eating!
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Lentils with Andouille Sausage
About This Recipe
|Active time:||25 minutes|
|Total time:||40 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||Skillet Suppers: Lentils with Andouille Sausage|
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 whole andouille sausages, pricked all over with a toothpick or cake tester (about 1 pound, see note above)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, finely diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 serrano or jalapeño pepper, minced (optional, about 2 tablespoons)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium homemade or canned chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling (optional)
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
Heat ½ tablespoon oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the sausages and cook until browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
Add the remaining olive oil and heat until shimmering. Add the carrots, celery, onion, chili pepper, and a generous pinch of salt. Stir until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the lentils and the broth, stirring to combine. Lower the heat to bring to a simmer, then partially cover, and allow to cook until lentils are beginning to softe, about 15 minutes. uncover, add sausages, and continue to cook, stirring lentils and flipping sausages occasionally until fully cooked.
Stir in the lemon juice and parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle lentils into four serving bowls and top each with a sausage (slice sausage first if desired). Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and serve immediately.