This recipe appears in:The Food Lab: How to Roast Fall and Winter Vegetables Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese, Eggs, Pomegranate, and Marcona Almond Vinaigrette
Note: Marcona almonds can be found in most specialty European food shops. Regular almonds or pinenuts can be used in their place.
About the author: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt is the Chief Creative Officer of Serious Eats where he likes to explore the science of home cooking in his weekly column The Food Lab. You can follow him at @thefoodlab on Twitter, or at The Food Lab on Facebook.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- 1 1/2 pounds beets, peels on, greens removed, scrubbed clean
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted marcona almonds, roughly chopped (see note above)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallot (about 1 small)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin oliveo oil
- 2 small white onion, finely sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 2 to 3 hard boiled eggs, quartered
- 1/2 cup leaves from the center of 1 head of celery
Preheat oven to 375°F. Fold a 12- by 24-inch sheet of aluminum foil in half to form a square. Crimp two edges to form a pouch. Toss beets, vegetable oil, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl until coated. Add to pouch and crimp remaining edge to seal. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven. Roast until beets are completely tender and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into beet through foil shows little to no resistance, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Combine almonds, honey, vinegar, and shallots in a medium bowl. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in olive oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
When beets are cool enough to handle, peel by gently rubbing skin under cold running water. Cut beets into 1 1/2-inch chunks.
Toss beets, pomegranate, onion, and dressing together in a large bowl. Transfer to a plate. Garnish with goat cheese, boiled eggs, and celery leaves. Serve immediately.