Note: Turn this into a brunch sandwich by adding a soft-boiled egg.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:Makes 2 sandwiches
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:20 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced from pole to pole (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 (6-inch) crusty rolls, such as ciabatta, halved
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 ounces marinated white anchovies
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onion, tomatoes, and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion and tomatoes are softened and the mixture has a sauce-like consistency, about 5 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer. Remove from heat.
Spoom half the tomato sauce on 1 side of each roll and top each with half of the anchovies. Sprinkle with cilantro. Spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise on the remaining roll halves, then top the sandwiches and serve.