Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Herb Waffles with Sausage, Peppers, and a Fried Egg
About This Recipe
|Active time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
|Special equipment:||Waffle Iron|
|This recipe appears in:||Sunday Brunch: Herb Waffles with Sausage and Peppers Topped with a Fried Egg|
- Vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound (about 3 links) sausage, cases removed and crumbled
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 green pepper, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups (about 8 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed herbs (such as parsley, thyme, chives, and tarragon)
- 1 medium clove garlic, finely chopped (about 1 teaspoon)
- 7 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons (half stick) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 200°F. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large stainless steel skillet over medium high heat until shimmering then add crumbled sausage. Cook, stirring, until sausage is browned and no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain all but about 1 tablespoon fat. Add onion and peppers. Cook until onions are beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
Preheat waffle iron following manufacturers instructions. In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, sugar, and herbs. In a separate bowl whisk together garlic, 3 eggs, milk, and melted butter. Whisk wet and dry ingredients together.
Cook waffles according to manufacturer's directions until crisp and brown. Place cooked waffle on a baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.
When all waffles are cooked, heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in a large non-stick skillet over high heat until shimmering. Add remaining four eggs and fry until whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 2 minutes. Serve waffles topped with sausage and pepper mixture and a fried egg.