This recipe appears in:The Food Lab's Thanksgiving: Green Bean Salad with Pickled Peppers and Anchovy Dressing
Note: Beans can be blanched and chilled and dressing can be made up to 2 days in advance.
About the author: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt is the Chief Creative Officer of Serious Eats where he likes to explore the science of home cooking in his weekly column The Food Lab. You can follow him at @thefoodlab on Twitter, or at The Food Lab on Facebook.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Kosher salt
- 2 1/4 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 6 whole anchovy filets, chopped into a paste
- 2 ounces finely grated parmesan cheese (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons fresh juice from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced Pepperoncini, drained
- 2 medium shallots, finely sliced (about 2/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Fill a large bowl with water and ice. Add beans to boiling water and cook until tender crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer to ice bath until cool. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet lined with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel and dry beans carefully (see note above). Set aside.
Combine mayonnaise, anchovies, parmesan, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Add beans, pepperoncini, shallots, and pine nuts. Toss to combine, and serve.