This recipe appears in:Sandwiched: Classic Club Sandwich
About the author: María del Mar Sacasa is a recipe developer, food stylist, and author of the food blogs High Heels & Frijoles and Cookin' and Shootin'.
Behind her girly façade lurks a truck driver's appetite. Read about her cravings and suffer through her rants on Twitter @HHandFrijoles and see her constant stream of food images on Instagram: mdmsacasa
- 6 slices (about 1/2-inch thick) white Pullman loaf
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mustard (optional)
- 4 large leaves greenleaf lettuce
- 3 ounces thickly sliced deli turkey
- 6 strips thick-cut bacon, cooked until crisp
- 1 large beefsteak tomatoes (about 6 ounces), sliced
- Salt and pepper
Spread both sides of each bread slice with 4 tablespoons mayonnaise. Toast bread in 2 batches over medium heat, about 5 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking. Transfer to cooling rack.
Spread 4 slices of bread with remaining mayonnaise and mustard. To build sandwiches, arrange 1 lettuce leaf on 1 piece of mayo-mustard-spread toast. Top with turkey, then toast, then lettuce, bacon, and tomatoes. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper. Top with remaining slices of bread and secure each with 4 toothpicks. Cut each sandwich in quarters. Serve.