This recipe appears in:Sandwiched: Classic Club Sandwich
This classic club sandwich is built with carefully prepared but minimalist ingredients, so each one will stick out quite prominently. For best results, use only the freshest ingredients: crisp lettuce, ripe tomatoes, good-quality turkey or chicken, thick-cut bacon, and sturdy bread.
- 6 slices (about 1/2-inch thick) white Pullman loaf
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mustard (optional)
- 4 large leaves greenleaf lettuce
- 3 ounces thickly sliced deli turkey
- 6 strips thick-cut bacon, cooked until crisp
- 1 large beefsteak tomatoes (about 6 ounces), sliced
- Salt and pepper
Spread both sides of each bread slice with 4 tablespoons mayonnaise. Toast bread in 2 batches over medium heat, about 5 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking. Transfer to cooling rack.
Spread 4 slices of bread with remaining mayonnaise and mustard. To build sandwiches, arrange 1 lettuce leaf on 1 piece of mayo-mustard-spread toast. Top with turkey, then toast, then lettuce, bacon, and tomatoes. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper. Top with remaining slices of bread and secure each with 4 toothpicks. Cut each sandwich in quarters. Serve.