This classic club sandwich is built with carefully prepared but minimalist ingredients, so each one will stick out quite prominently. For best results, use only the freshest ingredients: crisp lettuce, ripe tomatoes, good-quality turkey or chicken, thick-cut bacon, and sturdy bread.
- Yield:Makes 2 sandwiches
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:20 minutes
- 6 slices (about 1/2-inch thick) white Pullman loaf
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mustard (optional)
- 4 large leaves greenleaf lettuce
- 3 ounces thickly sliced deli turkey
- 6 strips thick-cut bacon, cooked until crisp
- 1 large beefsteak tomatoes (about 6 ounces), sliced
- Salt and pepper
Spread both sides of each bread slice with 4 tablespoons mayonnaise. Toast bread in 2 batches over medium heat, about 5 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking. Transfer to cooling rack.
Spread 4 slices of bread with remaining mayonnaise and mustard. To build sandwiches, arrange 1 lettuce leaf on 1 piece of mayo-mustard-spread toast. Top with turkey, then toast, then lettuce, bacon, and tomatoes. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper. Top with remaining slices of bread and secure each with 4 toothpicks. Cut each sandwich in quarters. Serve.