Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- Active time: 40 minutes
- Total time:40 minutes
- 2 tablespoon butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots (about 1 small)
- 1 cup ruby port
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup frozen pitted cherries, thawed and halved
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When foaming subsides, add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes.
Stir in port, vinegar, cherries, and dark brown sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until sauce has reduced by half, about 30 minutes.
Stir in remaining tablespoons of butter; season with salt and pepper to taste. Use immediately or transfer to an airtight container and store in refrigerator for up to 3 days, reheating when ready to use.