Note: for instructions on how to stuff dumpling skins, check out the recipe here. Chinese chives can be found in most Chinese grocers. If unavailable, substitute a mixture of sliced regular chives and finely sliced scallions.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Pork and Chives Dumpling Filling
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Makes enough for about 40 dumplings|
|Active time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||20 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||How to Throw a Dumpling Party|
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound Chinese chives, finely sliced (see note above)
- 1/2 pound fatty ground pork
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons Shaoxing rice wine
- 2 tablespoons pork stock or water
- about 1 teaspoon ginger, minced or grated with a microplane grater
Mix all ingredients well in a medium-sized mixing bowl. To taste for seasoning, place a 1/2 teaspoon-sized amount of filling on a microwaveable plate and microwave until cooked, about 10 seconds. Taste, then adjust mixture with more salt or sugar. If not using immediately, cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until you are ready to use, up to 24 hours.
To make and cook dumplings, follow this recipe for homemade dumplings, starting with step 4.