This playful fresh corn cocktail from La Condesa in Austin, Texas has a creamy texture and a creeping heat from the habanero-infused blanco tequila. Muddle fresh corn from the cob for optimal milkiness and sweetness.
Note: Dried hibiscus flowers can be found in specialty spice shops, Latin markets, or online. If you can't find both varieties of sea salt, any coarse-grained sea salt can be substituted. 2 tablespoons grated fresh lime zest can be substituted for the hibiscus flowers.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:makes 1 cocktail
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:4 hours and 20 minutes
- For the Habanero Infused Tequila:
- Half a habanero pepper with seeds and membranes removed
- 1 cup blanco tequila, such as Siembra Azul
- For the Hibiscus Salt:
- 1 1/2 ounce by weight (about 1/2 cup) dried hibiscus flower (see note above)
- 3 tablespoons coarse Hawaiian red sea salt (see note above)
- 6 tablespoons coarse grey sea salt (see note above)
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- For the Cocktail:
- Lemon wedge
- 1 1/2 ounces fresh sweet corn kernels, by weight
- 2 ounces habanero infused tequila
- 1/2 ounce Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur
- 1 1/2 ounces fresh lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
- 1/2 ounce freshly pressed pineapple juice
- 1/2 ounce organic agave nectar
- Absinthe in a mister for garnish
To make the habanero infused tequila: combine the habanero and tequila in a sealable container. Allow it to infuse for 4 hours, strain, and store in a glass bottle.
To make the hibiscus salt: combine the hibiscus, salts, and sugar in a clean spice grinder. Pulse until large crystals are pulverized but not reduced to a powder, about 10 short pulses. Store in a sealable container.
To make the cocktail: muddle the corn kernels hard in a cocktail shaker until they become creamy and milky. Add the infused tequila, ginger liqueur, lemon juice, pineapple juice, agave nectar, and fill with ice. Shake hard for 20 seconds.
Wet the rim of a coupe glass with lemon wedge and press the edge into the hibiscus salt. Double strain cocktail into glass. Mist with absinthe and serve.