About the author: Denise Dsilva Sankhe is a writer & creative director by profession. But that's only when she isn't eating her way across India. She recreates this delicious cuisine in her Mumbai home, which she shares with her newly-married husband, who has long since given up his determination to have salads for dinner.
- Yield:Serves 2
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:2 hours 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves and stems chopped
- Kosher salt
- 4 green bird chilis, finely chopped
- 10 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons toasted and ground cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon fresh juice from 1 lime
- 4 chicken legs (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Blend the coriander leaves and stems, salt, green chillis, garlic, cumin seed powder, and lime juice to a fine paste in a blender or food processor. Add spice paste and chicken legs to a large bowl and rub thoroughly to coat. Cover and transfer to the refrigerator. Let marinate at least two hours and up to overnight. Marinate the chicken in this paste for at least two hours (you can marinate in the previous night and this will only intensify the flavours).
Dredge the marinated chicken in the breadcrumbs to coat. Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Reduce heat to medium, then add chicken pieces. Cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown all over and chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes total. Allow to rest 5 minutes, and serve.