This recipe appears in:Chichi's Chinese: Cabbage Salad
About the author: Chichi Wang took her degree in philosophy, but decided that writing about food would be much more fun than writing about Plato. She firmly believes in all things offal, the importance of reading great books, and the necessity of three-hour meals. If she were ever to get a tattoo, it would say "Fat is flavor." Visit her blog, The Offal Cook.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili oil, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinkiang or rice vinegar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 head of cabbage, thinly cut or shredded (about 2 quarts shredded cabbage)
- 1 medium carrot, grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions (optional)
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro leaves (optional)
In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, sesame oil chili oil, soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar. Add cabbage and carrots and toss to combine. Adjust dressing to taste. Garnish with sesame seeds, and scallions and cilantro, if desired. Coleslaw may be dressed one hour in advance.