Note: XO sauce is a Chinese sauce made from dried seafood and ham. It can be found in most Asian markets.
- Yield:serves 4
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large zucchini, cut into halves lengthwise then cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 4 cups cold rice, preferably day-old
- 5 eggs, well-beaten with 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons XO sauce (see note)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili oil, optional
- Sliced scallions
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok over high heat until smoking, then add zucchini and stir-fry until tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from the wok, then add another tablespoon of oil. Add the eggs and stir-fry over high heat, until almost cooked through. Remove from the wok.
Add the XO sauce to the wok. Turn the heat to medium-low, then add the rice and stir-fry, breaking up clumps. Add the soy sauce and chili oil. Taste and add more condiments as needed. Add the eggs and the zucchini, and stir to mix well. Serve immediately, garnishing with scallions.