This recipe appears in:Mediterranean Chopped Salad with Tomatoes, Peppers, Feta, and Basil
A 30 minute salad of bright Mediterranean summer vegetables tossed together in a light vinaigrette with feta cheese and basil.
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, split in half
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1 teapoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
Place onions in a small bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside. Combine tomatoes and peppers in a colander set over a bowl and season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds black pepper. Allow to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes. You should end up with about 2 tablespoons juice in the bowl. If excess juice is collected, discard all but 2 tablespoons.
Add mustard and vinegar to vegetable juices. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Add tomatoes, peppers, cheese, drained onions, and basil to bowl and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.