Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Grilled Cheese Curd Panzanella
About This Recipe
|Active time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||Dinner Tonight: Grilled Cheese Curd Panzanella|
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, stemmed, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 12 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 pound hearty bread (ciabatta works well), sliced into 1-inch thick slices
- 4 ounces cheese curd, cut into 1-inch cubes
In a large bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, red wine vinegar, garlic, basil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 4 tablespoons of the olive oil. Stir well and set aside.
Set a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush the slices of bread with a tablespoon of the oil. Cook, flipping occasionally, until grill marks appear and the bread is crisp. Set bread aside on a cutting board to cool for a minute.
Meanwhile, reduce the heat on the grill pan to medium-low. Wait a minute or two for it to cool down, and then brush with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add the curds and cook until they are browned and crisp on the bottom, but not completely melted on top. When done, use a fork and carefully remove the curds from the grill pan and set aside on a plate.
Chop the bread slices into 1-inch cubes and toss well with the tomatoes. Season the mixture with more salt if needed. Divide the panzanella between four large bowls and garnish with the grilled cheese curds.