This rye-based cocktail from Cotogna restaurant in San Francisco tastes super-fresh thanks to lemon juice, berry liqueur, and a bunch of aromatic basil.
Notes: You can substitute Genovese basil for the opal basil. Fair Goji Berry Liqueur is available at liquor stores and online here and here. You can also substitute Clear Creek Loganberry liqueur or raspberry liqueur—taste before serving if you substitute ingredients.
- Yield:makes 1 cocktail
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 4 opal basil leaves (see notes)
- 2 ounces rye whiskey, such as Rittenhouse 100 proof
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1/2 ounce Fair Goji Liqueur (see notes)
- 2 ounces ginger beer, such as Blenheim's
- Garnish: opal basil sprig
Lightly muddle basil leaves in the bottom of a cocktail shaker. Add rye, lemon, and Goji liqueur. Fill shaker with ice and shake until well chilled.
Fill a collins glass with ice. Double-strain into serving glass. Top with ginger beer and garnish with basil sprig.