This recipe appears in:British Bites: Cheddar and Chutney Sandwiches
Note: A classic British mango chutney, this goes great in sandwiches made with hearty bread and a well-aged cheddar.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium clove garlic, finely chopped (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 mango, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 1 1/2 chunks)
- 1/2 apple, peeled and grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering, then add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook until soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add curry powder and turmeric and stir until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
Add mango, apple, cider vinegar, brown sugar, and raisins and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium low and allow chutney to simmer until fruit is soft, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chutney can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for several weeks.