About the author: Joshua Bousel brings you new, tasty condiment each Wednesday and a recipe for weekend grilling every Friday. He also writes about grilling and barbecue on his blog The Meatwave whenever he can be pulled away from his grill.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Barbecue Pizza Sauce
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Makes about 4 cups|
|Active time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
|Special equipment:||Immersion or Regular Blender|
|This recipe appears in:||Sauced: Barbecue Pizza Sauce|
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 small)
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic (about 2 medium cloves)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in tomato sauce, brown sugar, tomato paste, honey, cider vinegar, molasses, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Using an immersion blender, or transferring to a regular blender, puree sauce until smooth. Use on pizza the same day, or transfer to a jar and store in refrigerator for up to two weeks.