This recipe appears in:Sunday Supper: Bacon-Wrapped Chicken, Cheddar, and Jalapeno Parcels With Fingerling Potatoes
Note: If you have leftover rice—and you probably will—tuck it into a breakfast burrito the next day.
About the author: Jennifer Olvera is a veteran food and travel writer and author of "Food Lovers' Guide to Chicago." Follow her on Twitter @olverajennifer.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- For the Stuffing:
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 3/4 cups low sodium canned or homemade chicken stock
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds fingerling potatoes, sliced into 1/4" coins
- 1 medium shallot, minced (about 3 tablespoons)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 2 whole pickled jalapenos, minced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup prepared tomatillo salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 6 to 8 ounces each
- 8 thick slices bacon
Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. In a large saucepan, combine rice, chicken stock, 1 teaspoon oil, and about 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked through and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to rest, covered, for five minutes.
Meanwhile, place potatoes, remaining 2 teaspoons oil, and shallots in an oven-safe baking dish. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Place in oven and roast, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are nearly cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
Fluff cooked rice with fork. Add cheese, jalapenos, salsa, and sour cream. Toss to combine.
Slice each chicken breast horizontally almost all the way through and open like a book. Season with salt and pepper on both sides. Fill with a generous amount of jalapeno-studded rice. Close chicken around filling and wrap each parcel with two slices of bacon. Remove potatoes from the oven and nestle chicken into baking dish. Return to oven and cook until chicken registers 155 to 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.