Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:serves 4
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:40 minutes
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/2" thick disks or quartered, lengthwise
- Olive oil, for brushing zucchini
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups baby arugula leaves, loosely packed
- 2 tablespoons juice from 1 to 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces pecorino or parmesan cheese, shaved into thin slices using a vegetable peeler
- 2 tablespoons toasted pinenuts
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over the coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Alternatively, preheat a gas grill to high, covered, for at least 10 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate.
Using a pastry brush, brush zucchini with olive oil on both sides, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
When grill is hot, add zucchini slices and cook, covered, until zucchini is well-browned on one side, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip slices and cook, covered, until zucchini is well-browned and tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer zucchini to a serving platter.
In a medium bowl, toss arugula with lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Gently mound salad on top of grilled zucchini. Garnish with cheese and pinenuts and serve.