Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:Makes about 3 cups
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:40 minutes
- 1 Caribbean red papaya, peeled, seeded, and roughly diced
- 1 habanero pepper, stemmed and seeded (add 1 additional habanero for an extra spicy sauce)
- 1/4 cup diced shallots
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh juice, from 3 to 4 limes
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced garlic (about 1 medium clove)
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place papaya, habanero(s), shallots, vinegar, lime juice, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, allspice, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg in jar of a blender. Puree until smooth.
Transfer mixture to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let cool to room temperature, then transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.