About the author: María del Mar Sacasa is a recipe developer, food stylist, and author of the food blogs High Heels & Frijoles and Cookin' and Shootin'.
Behind her girly façade lurks a truck driver's appetite. Read about her cravings and suffer through her rants on Twitter @HHandFrijoles and see her constant stream of food images on Instagram: mdmsacasaa
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:Makes 4 sandwiches
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 12 oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained and minced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated zest from 1 lemon
- 2 large pieces naan, cut in half crosswise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 small zucchini (about 12 ounces), trimmed and sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 2 small Italian eggplants (about 8 ounces), trimmed and sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- Aleppo pepper or red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
In small bowl, combine butter, anchovies, and lemon zest. Set aside. Heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush both sides of each piece of naan with 1 tablespoon oil. Grill naan, in two batches, until warmed and slightly charred, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to plate and cover with clean kitchen towel.
Toss zucchini and eggplant in large bowl with remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and Aleppo pepper. Arrange eggplant in single layer in grill pan and cook over medium-high heat until tender and charred, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to bowl. Repeat procedure with zucchini.
Spread one side of each piece of naan with 1/4 of anchovy butter. Divide mixture of zucchini and eggplant evenly among naan and sprinkle with pistachios and cilantro.
Fold naan over filling and serve warm.