This recipe appears in:Vegetarian: The Best Way To Grill Zucchini
Tender grilled zucchini gets topped with a light, refreshing dressing of capers, fresh basil, olive oil and lemon.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- 1 tablespoon juice and 1 teaspoon zest from one lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, dried, and roughly chopped
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/2" thick disks or quartered, lengthwise
Combine lemon juice, olive oil, basil, and capers. Whisk to combine, season to taste with salt and pepper, then set aside.
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over the coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Alternatively, preheat a gas grill to high, covered, for at least 10 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate.
Using a pastry brush, brush zucchini with olive oil on both sides, and season to taste with salt and pepper. When grill is hot, add zucchini slices and cook, covered, until zucchini is well-browned on one side, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip slices and cook, covered, until zucchini is well-browned and tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer zucchini to a serving platter, spoon vinaigrette over the top, and serve.