This recipe appears in:Chocoholic: Famous Wafer Chocolate Ice Cream Cake
You won't believe how easy it is to create your own customized ice cream cake. Crushed chocolate wafers create a crunchy buttery shell that holds layers of luscious ice cream and chocolate cookies that soften just so.
- For the creamiest results, use a high quality ice cream.
- Customize your cake by using your favorite ice cream.
- Use a heavy duty hot wet knife to cut the cake.
- If you don't have a food processor, you can crush the wafers by placing them in a zip-lock bag and using a rolling pin to pound the bag.
About the Author: Yvonne Ruperti is a food writer, recipe developer, former bakery owner, and author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Easy Artisan Bread. You can also watch her culinary stylings on the America's Test Kitchen television show. She presently lives in Singapore as a freelance writer for Time Out Singapore. Check out her blog: shophousecook.com . Follow Yvonne on Twitter.
- 2 boxes Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 quarts chocolate ice cream, softened
Place wafers from one box of chocolate wafers in bowl of food processor and pulse until finely crushed. Transfer to large bowl and stir in butter and sugar until moistened. Press mixture into bottom of 9- to 10-inch springform pan.
Set aside 6 wafers from the second box. Spoon 3 cups ice cream into pan and smooth top. Place 9 wafers on top of ice cream in even layer. Keep alternating 3 cups ice cream and 9 wafers two more times, ending with an ice cream layer on top. (You should have 3 layers of wafers and 4 layers of ice cream).
Cut reserved cookies in half and stick cookie cut side down into ice cream around the top perimeter. Freeze cake until completely solid, about 3 hours. Run a hot wet knife along inside of pan to loosen, and serve.