- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 25 minutes
- Total time:1 hour, plus time to chill
- 2 bunches watercress, tough stems removed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 russet potato, peeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 3 small or 1 large leek, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 quart (4 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Finely sliced chives
In a large pot of boiling salted water, blanch the watercress for 30 seconds then drain. When cool enough to handle, coarsely chop the watercress.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, then add sliced leek and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 6 minutes. Add grated potatoes and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cook until vegetables are soft, about 12 minutes, then add watercress.
Allow to cool to room temperature, then puree in batches. Whisk in cream. Allow to chill in the refrigerator, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve cold garnished with finely sliced chives.