About the author: Joshua Bousel brings you new, tasty condiment each Wednesday and a recipe for weekend grilling every Friday. He also writes about grilling and barbecue on his blog The Meatwave whenever he can be pulled away from his grill.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Chicken Spiedies (Lemon and Herb-Marinated Grilled Chicken Sandwiches)
About This Recipe
|Active time:||45 minutes|
|Total time:||1 to 3 days|
|This recipe appears in:||Grilling: Chicken Spiedies|
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed juice from about 3 lemons
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 medium cloves minced garlic (about 2 teaspoons)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes prior to use
- 6 soft Italian rolls
- Type of fire: Direct
- Grill heat: high
To make the marinade, whisk together oil, vinegar, lemon juice, parsley, basil, mint, oregano, and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place chicken in large resealable plastic bag. Pour in marinade, seal, and toss to combine. Place in refrigerator and allow to marinate for at least overnight, up to 3 days.
When ready to cook, thread chicken onto skewers, dividing meat equally between each skewer.
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over coal grate. Alternatively, set all the burners of a gas grill to medium-high heat. Set cooking grate in place, cover gill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Grill skewers until chicken is browned on all sides and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Open roll and lay grilled skewer inside. Gripping the roll at the bottom, carefully slide skewer off, leaving meat in the bread. Serve immediately.