About the author: María del Mar Sacasa is a recipe developer, food stylist, and author of the food blog High Heels & Frijoles. Behind her girly façade lurks a truck driver's appetite. Read about her cravings and suffer through her occasional rants on Twitter @HHandFrijoles and see her constant stream of food images on Instagram: mdmsacasa
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Charred Chili and Corn
About This Recipe
|Yield:||makes 4 sandwiches|
|Active time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
|Special equipment:||grill or grill pan|
|This recipe appears in:||Sandwiched: Charred Chili, Cheese, and Corn Sandwiches|
- 4 ears fresh corn, shucked
- 4 jalapeño peppers, split in half, stems, seeds, and ribs removed
- 2 poblano peppers, split in half, stems, seeds, and ribs removed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound grated oaxaca or mozzarella cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 crusty rolls (about 6 inches long), split lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 small white onion, finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
Heat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Preheat for 5 minutes. Brush corn, jalapeños, and poblanos with vegetable oil. Grill until charred on all sides, turning occasionally with tongs, 7 to 10 minutes for corn, 5 to 7 minutes for chilis. Transfer to cutting board. When cool enough to handle, cut corn kernels from cob into a large bowl and slice the chilies into thin strips.
Heat cheese in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until completely melted and browned in spots, about 4 minutes. Stir in corn and chilies. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to lowest setting to keep warm.
Meanwhile, butter exterior of split rolls. Divide cheese mixture evenly among rolls and press together. Cook in a large skillet or over the grill, 2 sandwiches at a time, until crisp and browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to cutting board and cut in half. Toss together onions, cilantro, and lime juice. Serve sandwiches with onion mixture.