- 6 whole quail
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, drained, and finely chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 3 tablespoons dijon-style mustard
- 1 1/2 cups canned or homemade low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Rinse quail under cold running water, then pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
Melt butter in a medium skillet over high heat, swirling to spread. Add the quail and cook until all surfaces are very light brown, about 2 minutes total. Add capers, garlic, mustard, and stock. Bring the liquid to a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer gently, turning the quail once mid-way until just cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer quail to a serving platter, season braising with salt and pepper, stir in chopped parsley, pour over quail, and serve.